A decision has been reached on the basic story outline, and now its time to move into rough storyboards. Brad will be posting the treatment for the story on here later, but its essentially a turtle crossing the road story.
So by next Wednesday, we're hoping to have everyone interested and available throw together some rough boards. These can be thumbnails, but it'd be nice to see some well thought out gags, character designs, and environment designs. Another important thing to have would be an overhead view of your envisioned environment. Keep in mind that the story should lead to the development of the environment, not the other way around, and we can really have a fitting setting.
But for now, here's what we need you to do (post this information in the replies of the blog here):
1. What are you planning to contribute to this project?
This should be a realistic estimate of what you think you'll be able to put in. I know everyone's schedule is different, and we want you to be up front about that now. But if you want to animate on it, say so. If you want to build some models or do some texturing, say so and you'll do it. This is an opportunity to build your own portfolio, so concentrate on what you like. At the same time, though, since we are a small time, you're welcome to wear a few different proverbial production hats. Just say what you expect to do.
2. We need a team name. What do you suggest?
Basically, if we intend to operate as a semi-professional production team here, we might as well come up with an interesting moniker for ourselves. It would be good to google your suggestion, too, so we don't think of a nice name and end up having it taken ("Pixar" is probably taken, "Count Chocula" sounds awesome, but there might be copyright issues).
3. The short itself needs a name. Suggestions?
After reading Brad's story treatment - and maybe tweaking it to fit your own vision - try to think up an interesting name for the short. Something reasonable. This doesn't have to be decided upon now, but it would be nice to get some ideas out there.
4. Our protagonist, the turtle, needs a name.
Probably not necessary, but it would be nice to have a name to call it. Male/Female decisions to be made at this point to, but it seems most of us are envisioning male. No sexist turtle agendas or anything, though.
5. Post any suggestions or ideas you might have to improve our means of communication.
Since we're just starting this going now, here's where you might want to put in your two cents on how we can communicate and deliver information most efficiently. Tonight we discussed chats (like maybe Skype?), forums, and places to dump images and inspiration stuff (Flickr, Photobucket, etc). If you know of a nifty tool or website, let everyone know.
And I'm sending this information out in an email, but its more widely available if its posted here. I may post a contact list with everyone's email on here later on, but for now you should also be able to just reply to our emails. I really hope everyone can do this, and I really want to see some boards from everyone possible so we can get the best stuff.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1. If I don't get work sometime soon, I could put in 20 hrs. a week...maybe more. I can edit the story reel when the boards are ready. I'd also like to take a crack at modeling and perhaps z-brushing the turtle. This doesn't have to be exclusive, multiple turtles can be made. I'd definitely like to animate a few shots. After that, we'll see about rendering and compositing depending on how far along we are when I start school again.
ReplyDelete2.As for team names...hmm. How about Onset Animation or Tortuga Films? Just spit-ballin'
3. "Always Greener", "Thirst", "Parched", "The Tortoise and the Glare" (story point would have to be blinding glare from a windshield or something)...
4. Alberto...that's my choice
5. Like I mentioned before, DropBox sounds like a good idea. I also think we should schedule weekly chats at first and maybe more frequently as production ramps up.
1. I want to be involved in as much as possible, but here's what I DON'T want to do too much: rigging, effects & dynamics, too much rendering or compositing (although I don't mind that part too much), long hours of editing. I'm trying to work on getting better and building a portfolio of more production design stuff, so I intend to do as much of that as possible. And I'd also like to focus on modeling as much as necessary, perhaps environments and textures. I wouldn't mind animating a shot or two, but I know that isn't necessarily my strong point so I'd rather a stronger animator do their thang.
ReplyDeleteBecause I'm working 40 hours a week, my time to put in consecutive hours at a time may be limited. I'm hoping for 10-15 hours per week, maybe more if my weekends aren't too busy.
2. Team Name Ideas: Carapace Productions (a carapace is like a turtle shell), Robofish Inc., Silly Mustache, Magna Lucis Entertainment (from the term "Magic Lantern" which was the original name for a primitive film projector - more info in the link below). I think referencing a primitive form of art or animation would be cool, couldn't find much else yet though - I'll keep looking. Here's the link to this thing though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Lantern
3. I like "Always Greener," maybe with a question mark on the end: "Always Greener?"
Also: "To Shell and Back," "Heaven and Shell," "Hotter Than Shell," "Shell Hath No Fury," "What The Shell," "ARPEGGIOS FROM SHELLLLL" (LOLOLOLOLZZZZZahdfhasdd YNGWIE MALMSTEEN), "All's Well That Ends Shell" ...you get the idea.
4. Turtle names: Gopher, Mojave, Tombstone (reference to town in Arizona), Tempe, Tucson, Yuma, Atlas, Hoyt, Roboturtle
5. I think I'm going to make a photobucket account soon so we can all throw some inspiration images/research stuff on there. I'll post on here when I do.
ello ello...
ReplyDelete1. I'm unemployed atm and am in a serious rut so I can put in a lot of hours...as far as where that time is spent...Pre Viz, Animation, Rigging, and whatever stuff I can help out with...but Im going to stray away from modeling and compositing...
2. Teamz: Last Minute Productions...The MoD Squad...I R Anim8r...Fuzzy Bullet Productions...Teapot Tippers
3. I personally am not a fan of "Always Greener"...but can't really think of a tentative title just yet..."Shell Shock"...
4. Char Names: Tommy, Pat, Thadeus, Turq, Nitro, Flash, Frank...
1) I'm currently unemployed and frustated that no ones calling me either, so in the meantime, I can pour in a good amount of time. Unless something happens that I actually get a job, I plan on staying down here with the occasional trips to Orlando, like this weekend. Its no secret that I'd love to be a part of the modeling and texturing. I'm also down with the animating, rendering, compositing, and lighting. I wouldn't mind going along with Brad and making a second turtle if for nothing more but practice and a reel piece, as well as a guinea pig for z-brush.
ReplyDelete2) Team Name: VL's Finest, ... umm... going off of Zach's Shell Shock idea, how about Team Shell Shock or Shell Shock Productions.
3) Movie Name: Two Lanes to Freedom... hmm.... not sure for now...
4) Turtle Name: Scooter, Pancho....
1. Currently unemployed so I got time. However at the end of June I'll be moving up to Atlanta unless I've got a job by then. As far as what I could contribute is concerned; I take it I'll do effects. I could also help out with rigging, modeling, and/or animating if need be. I'm not the best at pre-pro stuff, but I'll do what I can.
ReplyDelete2. Team names: (in no particular order)
Last Minute Prod.
Battletoad Galactibus
Project Silly Mustache
Rap Chop Co.
Give Me a Job Inc.
3. Title: I can't top Ricky's puns, so I won't even try.
4. Character names: Turtle, Mr. Turtle, or (my favorite) "Turts" McGee
1. Contribution
ReplyDeleteWell, unless I get a job anytime soon, I have a lot of free time on my hands. I can see myself contributing about 20-25 hours a week to this project, possibly even more depending on the stage of production we're on and whether I'm employed.
As for focus, I'd like to do rigging, dynamics/simulation, and animation for the most part. I'm also up for some rendering/compositing. My skills in all of those departments could use some more lovin' and I'd love to improve them, if possible.
2. Team names... sure, here are some I could think of.
Robofish Productions, Digital Zoetrope, Appealing Vision, Danimootion, Zoetropical, Jazz Animation. Yeah, yeah, they're lame. I know. :P
3. The title of the short. All I could come up with are:
Drip-Drop, and H2o.
4. I came up with more ideas for the turtle's name than for the short!
Cork, Rod, Carlito, Flap, Honu, Lodi, Rock.
5. As for communication, I think this blog has done a great job at being our center point of communication for the short amount of time that has passed. However, as time passes and we have more and more topics to cover, I think this blog may become overwhelmed with the numbers and become difficult to navigate.
Therefore, I propose we use a regular forum as the layout is designed for this type of communication. When I get the chance, I'm going to test out some forum software on my site and see how that works out, to see if it'd be a viable solution. If it does, I'll let you all know.
1. well i'll start working by the end of the month, so i'll prolly make the effort to put 10-15 hrs/wk for the project. I would love to work on rendering/compositing.
ReplyDelete2. love the idea of turning robofish inc. into a real company.
3.story name? ummm "always greener" sounds good... maybe "Lento" or "Despacio" which is slow in spanish, in case it is set in a dessert near mexico or maybe somewhere in latin america... who knows :)
4.maybe name the turtle Dali? or Salvador...there could be an interesting form carved in his shell-- like a long mustache
5. i remmeber Nick had like a server thinggy in the internet that we could log in and drop some stuff... maybe we could ask him (if it doesnt cost that much or at all)
Can't wait to begin working on it!
Hey there everybody.
ReplyDelete1) Actively pursuing a job (he said foolishly as he types this in beautiful Destin), so I can put ze hours in, for right now that is. Any even after I find one, I plan on still being dedicated to this project. As far as responsibility: Pre-Vis, modeling, Animation, and comp sound gooood to me.
2)For the name. Lets take a letter from each name, preferably consonants and make a word......or how about The Collective.
3)Project Names: Floaty Turtle Fun, Wet/Dry, Shell of a Journey, Shell's Corner
4) Turtle names: Guapo, Sheldon, Tex, Wilbur, Bud, Nort, Toitle, Verde
Whats up guys
ReplyDelete1.) I'm going to start working full time in the next couple of weeks but I want to contribute as much as I can to this thing...for now I'm going to say about 15 hours a week, maybe a little more.
As for my focus I primarily want to do some modeling/texturing, but I'd also like to animate some shots if possible
2.) Group name - ShellaGood Animation, Thatswhatshesaid Ltd., and I suppose I'll toss my hat in for Last Minute Productions
3.) Project Name - Idk I'm terrible at this but I'm thinkin something to do with a desert environment: Arid, Scorchin', Dried Up, etc.
4.) Turtle Name - Norman, Nort, Herbert, Herman, Speedy, Turbo, Flash
1. i got no future, ill do lighting, some building models, i can do the rendering, more or less, help with most of it.
ReplyDelete2. group name - "welcome to tuesday" "TWSS" "dead monkey" "silverware" "big stick-o-pain" "delta class" "cyberdine systems model 101" "big D"
3. project name - "faster then the speed of water"
4. turtle name - cornelius, rupert, arnold, yojamba, shanaynay, lord vasholumpaort, george, jasper, minwax, tummbles, zac efrom
1. Still haven't found a job yet, so I can probably help contribute at least 20 hours or so (depending on family issues...*stares pointedly at mother*). Well animation is a definitely, but since we wont be doing that for quite a while, I'll offer to try my hand at some modeling and texturing (As well as UV texture mapping, but I heard that's easier in the newest version of MAYA), I'd like to help setting up the environment as well as storyboarding and compositing.
ReplyDeleteSo basically I'll try anything besides rigging and possibly lighting and effects.
2.Group Name. I found Last Minute Productions kinda funny, but I do like the Robofish Inc. idea as well. Uhm. Hm. I got nothin' right now.
3. Project name. I see a lot of puns up there.... *face to keyboard* Uhm. "Turtle Crossing" and "Parched" are all I can think up at this moment.
4. Turtle Name: Speedy. Addle. Tortuga. Roadkill.
5. We could try holding meetings on an online chat room or something. Doesn't ichat/AIM have some sort of feature that does it? Regular meetings will be a bit of a pain to me because I'm not particularly familiar with the area around UCF. I'll still try to go to the meetings if they're held in that general area.
And as Navarro said, a forum would be a good idea. The thing is: will people actually go and periodically check up on it? The forum that Max put up eons ago was hardly ever touched when he said we could make use of it, so hopefully people will get into the habit of posting and checking on it more often.
1. What are you planning to contribute to this project? I'll contribute ideas and input to continue fleshing out the story from a visual standpoint... going to try to get some concept stuff up here this week. When we get to the animatic I'd like to do a lot of development at that stage as well. Asset wise, I'll contribute as much as I can to modeling/texturing the environment. Maybe some stylized cactus? Projection mapped mountain formations? I'm thinking more on the scenic side of things. I've also been generating these large panorama skies from photos lately as well so we can have something original to work with for matte paintings. My time is limited lately since I work... which is going to turn into a full time affair at the end of the month. But I have 2 weeks to myself so I'll try to do what I can in the meantime. Also I'm juggling with a side project, some miniature set building with aspirations of compositing and all that kind of business so I don't want to get too ahead of myself as far as what I can realistically contribute but we'll see how things fare
ReplyDelete2. We need a team name. What do you suggest?
pixelpusher, bitcrusher, ram hogs? i could see a logo of a hog getting mauled by a mountain ram or something to comic effect. really I think simpler the better - im a fan of one or two word names that can be translated into an good logo. I think a logo is key here
3. The short itself needs a name. Suggestions? Shell Station, The Shell and the Station.. hahah, I dont know if we'd want to really go that route but its obvious and has a ring to it and I think Shell and the Station is far removed enough from the reference to be blatant unless you did some phony shell logo or something. or made it a shell station.
4. Turtle name? clyde? sebastian? dusty would be cool.. maybe have his shell well dusted over with sand
5. Yeah... communication and stuff. Meeting in person is a pain in the ass given the difference in schedules and distance/rush hour considerations. I think a forum is really the best tool IMO as far as quickly laying out information and media. Real time chat would be nice - don't have skype but I'd get in on it if needed. IRC meets? AIM/ICHAT meets?
My vote is for "bigD"!
ReplyDeleteHmmm..."pixelpusher" is kinda catchy though...
ReplyDeletecontributions: i'd like to take part in helping to develop the design and modeling/texturing assets. depending on what happens in the near future i'd also like to help with compositing/ rendering, and possibly a little lighting. not big on animation or effects.
ReplyDeleteHey guys I've been out of town most of the weekend - I am just now catching up to everything... so here's my contribution. Thought it'd keep it interesting and give it to you in verse...haha
ReplyDeleteI am down for the sound; foley and music that we choose/
Compositing too is a skill that I'd like to abuse/
For title names, I like "Shell Shock" most and "Shell and the Station"/
"Always Greener" is kinda clever though for a short animation/
For our Group we should be called the "VL Studs Who Survived "/
but team name "Pixel Pushers" is catchy; I think Rob and B-Rad might be right/
The tortoise could be named Wrigley, Fast Max or Huey Magoo/
I also like Speedy, Turbo, Sebastian, and Honu/
Blogs work well but are slow; iChat is cool but not everyone owns.../
Skype is the shit; Let us use it/
One...
Looking forward to seeing what this project becomes. Everyone involved is talented so this will surely be an awesome piece.
Oh yeah one more thing. GO MAGIC
Nathan sent his to me via email, so I'll copy that here:
ReplyDelete1. What are you planning to contribute to this project?
I haven't had time to look at everything you've sent out---I've been busy up to this point so here goes
I like to draw----and possibly create the title character, environment,--or other visual elements, as well as any assets---I will say---my story boards I will burn through----it's not the drawing quality---it is the story ideas I will portray more prominently
I will admit---for me to drive to any meetings---is like 90 minutes---which is really out of my way but I'd like to stay actively involved---I haven't had a lot of time til now--I've been building my website---Which you'll notice if you look at the pieces----are ALL NEW----so you can see I am a hard worker!!!!! And am capable of doing A LOT!
2. We need a team name. What do you suggest?
how about ""pixel" dust animation studios"----or is that taken too????
3. The short itself needs a name. Suggestions?
... ask later
4. Our protagonist, the turtle, needs a name.
yurtle is already taken and I am already working on that for my kids book
5. Post any suggestions or ideas you might have to improve our means of communication.
skype is the best it is what we use at work
1) Contribute:
ReplyDelete-animation
-modeling
-compositing
-not sure on how many hrs i can do though, depends on schedule
2) Team name
- # guys, # girls, and a production company (not sure how many of us there are >shrug<)
- Aniticavity Animations
-Droopy Pixels Productions
-Red River Productions/Inc.
3) Short name
-Thirstle (thirsty and turtle, get it?)
-Little Turtle, Big Thirst
-Parched
4) Protagonist name
-Don
-Ned
-Clyde
-Filbert (good old man name)
-Mervin (another good old one)
-Pebbles (very pet-like)
5) Communication improvements
-i personally think we should just stick to about 2 forms to communicate on the internet. like this blog and one other place, excluding email. we get too many places to check it can get confusing.